Saturday, February 8, 2014

Bangkok

Yay traffic!... LA ain't got nothing on Bangkok traffic - it's horrendous all the time! And if at all possible, I avoid sitting front passenger of any car, it gives me so much anxiety to see the driving... People change lanes when they want, they drive in non existing lanes, they drive in 2 lanes, basically they do what they want and pedestrians do not have right of way!





I just want some lunch dammit!!

This place was recommended... Kuay Teaw Bangkok, specializing in beef noodle

The man running the noodle pit, or Paw Krua, has a selection of brisket, tendon, intestines, liver, blood, meatballs and rare beef

Blanching pot and broth pot

My bowl of beef noodle soup with brisket, tendon and veggies. The broth is so complex, the brisket falls apart nicely but the tendon gives a nice chewiness. The noodles in Thailand are also interestingly more toothsome (in a good way) than noodles in the states 

Other vendors renting spaces in the restaurant selling fried tofu and satays... Delicious!

Dessert - Kanom Tuay.. Literally translates to Bowl Snack... These little bite sized greatnesses are steamed in little cups and unmolded (some places serve them in the cup they're steamed in and you use a mini paddle to scoop them out). These were pandan flavored, topped with coconut cream, if done correctly they should have the texture of Pot de Créme. They tasted sweet, hints of pandan and the coconut cream was pleasantly salted

#Fun fact about Thailand# Thai people love to abbreviate things... Instead of saying microwave, they call it wave. Instead of internet, they call it net. Instead of saying OK, they say O. 


After lunch we headed to Muang Tong (Golden City) where there's a huge convention going on known as Otop, and it was the last day!

Otop stands for One Tambon One Product, Tambon means subdistrict. It's a convention that was started by the former prime minister to help stimulate local entrepreneurship. Otop products include a large array of products, including handmade crafts, cotton and silk garments, pottery, accessories, household items and FOOD!!

We were told not to eat too much as we were meeting people for dinner later... hahaha not eat too much, that's funny!

Som Tom, or papaya salad

I'm enjoying an Isaan Sausage from the northeast region of Thailand. This sausage is made with fermented pork and rice, dried out at room temperature usually for a week then grilled for my enjoyment accompanied by cabbage, raw ginger and Thai bird chilies 

I can't remember what region/city this is from but this lady is selling Rice Salad made with carrots, unripe mango, chilies, lemongrass, snake beans, lime juice, fish sauce.... It looked incredible 

Candied Shrimp anyone? 

My absolute favorite... Roti! Buttered, flaky dough stretched to a disk and pan fried. When I was a kid you can get it 3 ways: condensed milk, condensed milk and sugar, or with egg... Now you can have it any way you like, kind of like a crepe, savory or sweet... But I still only get it one way - condensed milk only!

Look at the color of their butter! It looks like mustard! I wonder what their cows eat



After eating too much before dinner, we met some long time family friends at a local restaurant (the name slips my memory) and I didn't eat anything! 

NOT! I ate so much I forgot to take pictures of everything hahaha!

Duck Intestine with chili lime sauce - tasted like duck but the texture was a bit like jelly fish, kind of crunchy

Snail Curry with climbing wattle plant - the curry tasted like curry, rich and complex, the snails had a nice chewy texture and a bitter flavor, the climbing wattle, or Cha Om in Thai, has an interesting herby flavor. This curry was nicely balanced - sweet, spicy, bitter, and herby

These are the lovely ladies I dined with - myself, my mom, grandma Nui (not my grandma), auntie Taew (not my auntie), and my sister
I've known grandma Nui and auntie Taew since I was very young and they've always taken care of my family and even now they insist on taking care of me and my family. I greatly appreciate their compassion and generosity and am very glad to have their help while I'm in Thailand




Follow me on Instagram @vnesst


No comments:

Post a Comment