Monday, March 17, 2014

Cambodia/Angkor Wat!!!

Yay!! I can't believe we're finally here!! I really wanted to make this trip count and since I was going to be in Southeast Asia for a few month, I wanted to add something special to my trip. I had read about how beautiful Angkor Wat is and I've seen many breath taking pictures of it and I really wanted to experience myself... So here goes...

Our tuk tuk and our driver, Roh, came to pick us up just before 8am, we quickly finished our breakfast and were on our way 

(The humidity in the air gave my hair the best volume I've ever had in my life!)

Roh asked us where we wanted to go and if we had tickets already, we said Angkor Wat and no, so he took us to the ticket station. There were options for 1 day pass at $20, 3 day pass at $40 (useable anytime within a week), or 7 day pass at $60 (useable anytime within a month)... We did the 3 day pass... They take your picture, mine was not the best... You have to present your ticket everyday and at any point while at the temples if they ask for it. The pass can be used at all temples except for 3 temples not in the area. There is a significant fine if you're caught without your pass so don't lose it! Temples are open from sun up to sun down but the afternoons are insanely hot so plan you day accordingly 

My pass

Angkor Wat... It was so beautiful and there were so many people!!
Initially built as a Hindu temple then turned Buddhist, it's the largest religious monument in the world. The temple was built by Khmer King Suryavarman II in the 12th century as his state temple and eventually his mausoleum. During the Khmer Rouge take over in the 70s much of these temples were destroyed in an attempt to rid the country of religion and bourgeoisie lifestyles. In the late 80s and early 90s conservation efforts were started and continued on until present day

Anytime I visit a temple I dress respectfully and follow the rules they set so that everyone sees the example and everyone else can enjoy their time here. I don't know if the authorities just gave up on trying to control it all but I still saw people dress inappropriately, speaking very loudly, climbing on the balustrade... Just making it harder for respectful people to enjoy their time here and speeding up the time this place will close to the public cause people don't know how to act!


The beautiful apsaras decoration 





You can see where restoration is happening 

I saw this guy accepting donations for blessed bracelets, I donated a dollar and received a blessing in the form of a string bracelet he tied on and I must wait for it to fall off on its own... I really enjoy these cause there's a story and good vibrations behind each of them 

Ground keepers sweeping dust and dirt out

This place is massive and so beautiful... Just thinking how people built this in the 12th century makes me think I can do more with my life


Lots and lots of tourists going to visit the upper gallery, we didn't go cause there were too many people



The backside of Angkor Wat


After spending a few hours here we got thirsty and walked over to the rest area in front of Angkor Wat.... Brace yourself, as soon as we step off the last step we were bombarded by people selling everything! 5 different people selling me postcards, scarves, coconuts, paintings, pants, hammocks.... Then a lady yelled at us for not choosing her coconuts over another vendor's! $3 for 3 coconuts and a bottle of water... Not bad, except the coconut was salty and tangy.... We will learn that all coconuts in Cambodia were salty and tangy... Apparently it's the potassium in it that makes it taste that way... Thai coconuts are the best, just saying...




Back in front of Angkor Wat, you can see the massive crowds that gather and ruin your shots

This guy rigged this tuk tuk to support a hammock for siestas! We saw several like this... Ingenius!

Once we felt sufficient with the amount of time we spent here, we asked Roh to take us to the next temple on our list, Angor Thom

Unfortunately I have more pictures on my digital camera but apparently I didn't feel it necessary to pack the transfer cord when I decided to bring my camera on this entire trip so I can't offload those pics yet :( #FAIL






Follow me on Instagram @vnesst

No comments:

Post a Comment